OK, so you've decided you want to prepare for life outside the armed forces. As you probably know already, there are currently 3 ways in which you can receive funding to prepare yourself for this life changing step; ELC (Enhanced Learning Credits); IRTC (Individual Resettlement Training Costs); and SLC (Standard Learning Credits). Call the dedicated Quanta Forces Training Team on 0800 018 3975 or fill out the Contact Form.
ELC (Enhanced Learning Credits)
The Enhanced Learning Credits Scheme (ELC) is an initiative to promote lifelong learning amongst members of the Armed Forces. This means it can be used both during your time in the forces, and also for up to 5 years after leaving. However, as with most things in life, this is dependent on a few certain conditions...
- Lower Tier ELC funding provides funding for up to a maximum of 3 awards of up to £1,000 per financial year. You must have completed either 4 or more years qualifying service completed before 1st April 2017, or otherwise 6 or more years qualifying service completed on or after 1st April 2017
- Aggregated Lower Tier funding provides a single award of up to £3,000 for Service Personnel who have completed 6 or more years qualifying service on or after 1st April 2016. This type of award may not be taken if a Lower Tier claim has already been accessed or for those who qualify for the Higher Tier award.
- Upper Tier awards provide funding for up to a maximum of 3 awards of up to £2,000 per financial year. Service Personnel and Service Leavers must have completed 8 years or more of qualifying service.
- Only one ELC claim can be made per financial year and the entire claim must be with one provider
- Courses must be National Qualifications Framework (NQF) Level 3, or above, for both lower and higher tier claimaints in order to receive funding
Time to claim:
- Service Leavers with exit date before 31st March 2016 can use ELC funding for a course running up to 10 years after their discharge date.
- Service Leavers with exit date after 1st April 2016 can use ELC funding for a course running up to 5 years after their exit date.
How to Claim?
For full details of how to claim got to the ELCAS website www.enhancedlearningcredits.com
If you have any questions about this claims procedure, then get in touch with your education or learning advisor. Failing that, our own ELC Advisors have significant experience of the claims process and will be more than willing to help you out. You can also take a look at the ELC claiming form flowchart, which makes things a bit easier to understand.
IRTC (Individual Resettlement Training Costs)
People serving who intend to leave within 2 years are entitled to a IRTC grant of £534. This can be used in conjunction with an ELC to be put towards training. When using IRTC with ELC during resettlement, the individual may use the IRTC element to pay for, in part or in full, the 20% minimum personal contribution required. Unlike ELC funding, any unspent IRTC may also be directed towards another training activity! However this funding will need to be used up before you leave the armed forces - if you don't use it, you will lose it!
SLC (Standard Learning Credits)
The Standard Learning Credits (SLC) scheme is another way in which personnel can obtain financial assistance for training costs. This allows you to claim up to £175 per financial year. It is essential that you enrol on the SLC scheme before applying for your chosen course of study in order to claim this benefit. However one drawback to the SLC is that it cannot be used in conjunction with the ELC.
- IRTC + ELC = Yes
- IRTC + SLC = Yes
- IRTC + SLC + ELC = No