PowerBI - Data Analytics and Report Building
Microsoft Power BI is a powerful business analytics service that can be used to transform data from multiple sources into interactive, visual reports that can be viewed on any device. With Data Analysis and Business Intelligence being vital to business success, this course will give you the knowledge and tools to create accurate data models and reports upon which you can make critical decisions for your organisation.
Book your virtual training
- More info
- Date and time to suit you
- VenueWe will train your team
wherever they are based
- CostContact us for price
- Fill in the form and we'll be in touch
within a working day.
This course will cover the fundamentals of data analytics to enable delegates to prepare data models, ready for analysis in Power BI, using data from multiple sources. Using these data models, delegates will then create interactive reports and dashboards. It will also explore the administrative side of Power BI to enable you to share reports and configure permissions.
IT Technicians, Data Analysts and Business Analysts who need to analyse data using Power BI – the core concepts can also be applied to other BI software.
• Understand fundamental data analysis concepts.
• Connect to common data sources such as Excel workbooks and SQL Server databases.
• Create and manage connections to data sources, and schedule data refreshes including on-premise data.
• Shape data from multiple sources and prepare the data for analysis.
• Understand and create data models.
• Analyse data using Data Analysis Expressions (DAX) to solve complex calculations.
• Use data analysis concepts, functions, and techniques to create reports with visualisations.
• Implement a consistent theme for reports using templates and best practices.
• Create dashboards with report items, drilldown, and navigation.
• Enable report users to interact with the data using natural language queries.
• Publish reports and datasets to the Power BI Service online.
• Manage access to reports to meet business needs.
Power BI provides live insights throughout your organisation by making your vast amount of data easily consumable. Well-designed reports and dashboards, with a fundamentally well-designed data model, can transform the way your staff work, facilitating decision making and identifying problem areas rapidly.
Data Analytics and Data Science are some of the fastest-growing roles today. With the tools gained on this course, you can take the data provided by your data team and create concise, interactive reports to be used at all levels within an organisation.
Introduction to Power BI
• What is Power BI?
• Power BI within the data analysis toolkit.
• Introduction to the Power BI Desktop interface.
• Introduction to the Power BI Service interface.
Data Analysis Concepts
• Facts, dimensions, and measures.
• Data layouts – the star schema and the denormalised form.
• Data types.
• Relationships and keys.
• Data models.
• Naming conventions.
• Excel workbooks
• SQL Server Databases
• Preparing data for analysis.
• Setting data types.
• Exclude unnecessary columns.
• Create calculated columns.
• Create and edit relationships.
• Identify and create measures.
• Build hierarchies of data.
Data Analysis Expressions (DAX)
• Time intelligence functions and data tables.
• __X functions (eg SUMX).
• Calculate, Filter, All.
• Logical operations.
• Tables and matrices.
A Consistent Vision
• Layout best practices.
• Bookmarks and Selections.
Working with Reports
• Adding report objects – text, buttons etc.
• Standard visualisations.
• Other content
Publishing and Sharing
• Sharing datasets.
• Sharing reports.
• Row-level security.
• Creating Workspaces
• Creating and publishing Apps.
• Managing data refresh.
• Gateways to on-premise data.
Whilst not essential, exposure to data analysis or manipulation would be highly recommended as this is an intense course. Advanced Excel and SQL users should consider themselves suitable for this course.