Fundamentals of Data Analytics using Power BI
Microsoft Power BI is a powerful business analytics service that can be used to transform data from multiple sources into interactive, visual reports that can be viewed on any device. With Data Analysis and Business Intelligence being vital to business success, this course will give you the knowledge and tools to create accurate data models upon which you can make critical decisions for your organisation.
Book your virtual training
- More info
- Date and time to suit you
- VenueWe will train your team
wherever they are based
- CostContact us for price
- Fill in the form and we'll be in touch
within a working day.
Book your place
- Date29 Mar 2021
- Book Now
This course will cover the fundamentals of data analytics to enable delegates to prepare data models, ready for analysis in Power BI, using data from multiple sources. It will also explore the administrative side of Power BI to enable you to share reports and configure permissions.
IT Technicians, Data Analysts and Business Analysts who need to analyse data using Power BI – the core concepts can also be applied to other BI software.
- Understand fundamental data analysis concepts.
- Connect to common data sources such as Excel workbooks and SQL Server databases.
- Create and manage connections to data sources, and schedule data refreshes including on-premise data.
- Shape data from multiple sources and prepare the data for analysis.
- Understand and create data models.
- Analyse data using Data Analysis Expressions (DAX) to solve complex calculations.
- Use data analysis concepts, functions, and techniques to create reports with visualisations.
- Enable report users to interact with the data using natural language queries.
- Publish reports and datasets to the Power BI Service online.
- Manage access to reports to meet business needs.
- Provide extended reporting and actions using Power BI Alerts.
Power BI provides live insights throughout your organisation by making your vast amount of data easily consumable. A well setup data model will enable Report Makers to easily create interactive reports and dashboards to accelerate and improve decision making.
Data Analytics and Data Science are some of the fastest-growing roles today. Companies are increasingly becoming more-and-more data driven and people are needed to interpret this data to accelerate key business decisions.
- What is Power BI?
- Power BI within the data analysis toolkit.
- Introduction to the Power BI Desktop interface.
- Introduction to the Power BI Service interface.
- Facts, dimensions, and measures.
- Data layouts – the star schema and the denormalised form.
- Data types.
- Relationships and keys.
- Data models.
- Naming conventions.
- Excel workbooks, databases, and web content.
- Preparing data for analysis.
- Setting data types.
- Exclude unnecessary columns.
- Create calculated columns.
- Create and edit relationships.
- Identify and create measures.
- Build hierarchies of data.
- Time intelligence functions and data tables.
- __X functions (eg SUMX).
- Calculate, Filter, All.
- Logical operations.
- Sharing datasets.
- Sharing reports.
- Workspaces and groups.
- Row-level security.
- Using and creating Content Packs.
- Managing data refresh.
- Gateways to on-premise data.
- Alerts – email and Flow.
Whilst not essential, exposure to data analysis or manipulation would be highly recommended as this is an intense course. Advanced Excel and SQL users should consider themselves suitable for this course.