CompTIA Security +
CompTIA Security+, or S+ as it is sometimes known, covers network security, compliance and operational security, cryptography, application data and host security, threats and vulnerabilities, and identity management. This hands on technical course is for you if your job involves securing network services, network devices and network traffic. The course labs use Windows operating systems and possibly Linux. Additional out of hours reading may be required during and/or after the course.
The course will prepare you for the CompTIA Security+ exam, which you can take at your leisure, the exams are optional. For exam preparation, this course concentrates on the conceptual and practical aspects of Security and selected labs from the official CompTIA lab guide. Additional home study of at least 25-30 hours will be required for exam preparation and learning additional content, such as network device specifications, physical security and security policies from the provided courseware.
Exams are not taken during the course, please see information below for more details.
Book your team training at your premises
- More info
- Date and time to suit you
- VenueWe will train your team
at your offices
- CostContact us for price
- Fill in the form and we'll be in touch
within a working day.
Book your place
- Date25 Nov 2019
- Book Now
- Date17 Feb 2020
- Book Now
- Date22 Jun 2020
- Book Now
- Date19 Oct 2020
- Book Now
The above prices include an exam fee of £221.00
Guaranteed to run
If you want to further a career in IT by acquiring a knowledge of security topics; or use Security+ as the foundation for advanced security certifications or career roles. Then this course is for you. This course will build on your knowledge and professional experience with computer hardware, operating systems, and networks as you acquire the specific skills required to implement basic security services on any type of computer network.
Internet Security Specialists, IT Compliance Specialists, Network Administrators, Network Analysts, Network Support Technicians, System Administrators, Database Administrators, Software Engineer or any Information Technology (IT) professional who has networking and administrative skills in Windows-based TCP/IP networks and familiarity with other operating systems, such as NetWare, Macintosh, UNIX/Linux, and OS/2.
- Understand the building blocks of a secure infrastructure
- Harden common services, servers and communications
- Install, configure and administer a Public Key Infrastructure
- Monitor and troubleshoot security enforcement
This course will allow IT individuals to become empowered to question the integrity of security within the business infrastructure. This will potentially allow a new perspective to be applied, with regard to questions being raised, to a concept which is vitally important to the business.
By attending this course, you will become familiar with a wide range of security concepts. It will allow practical proof of concept of testing principals in an understandable way to ensure pertinent questions are raised regarding the implementation of security.
- Security Building Blocks
- Authentication Methods
- Cryptography Fundamentals
- Security Policy Fundamentals
- Security Threats
- Software-Based Threats
- Network-Based Threats
- Hardware-Based Threats
- Harden Operating Systems
- Harden Directory Services
- Harden DHCP Servers
- Harden File and Print Servers
- Harden Internetwork Connection Devices
- Harden DNS and BIND Servers
- Harden Web Servers
- Harden Email Servers
- Harden Conferencing and Messaging Servers
- Secure File Transfers
- Protecting Network Traffic with IPSec
- Secure Wireless Traffic
- Secure the Network Telephony Infrastructure
- Secure the Remote Access Channel
- Prevent Input Validation Attacks
- Protect Systems from Buffer Overflow Attacks
- Implement ActiveX and Java Security
- Protect Systems from Scripting Attacks
- Implement Secure Cookies
- Harden a Web Browser
- Install a Certificate Authority (CA) Hierarchy
- Harden a Certificate Authority
- Backup a CA
- Restore a CA
- Enrol Certificates
- Secure Network Traffic by Using Certificates
- Renew Certificates
- Revoke Certificates
- Backup Certificates and Private Keys
- Restore Certificates and Private Keys
- Perform a Risk Assessment
- Enforce Corporate Security Policy Compliance
- Enforce Legal Compliance
- Enforce Physical Security Compliance
- Educate Users
- Plan For Disaster Recovery
- Conduct a Security Audit
- Scan For Vulnerabilities
- Monitor for Security Anomalies
- Setup A Honeypot
- Respond to Security Incidents
- Evidence Administration
- Recover From a Security Incident
- Physical network media cabling, Ethernet and Wi-Fi networks, Arp tables and Arp broadcasts, MAC addresses, IP networks and addressing, Subnets, VLANS, basic static and RIP routing, NAT routing. A familiarity with using common application protocols including at least: HTTP(S), DNS, LDAP, SSH, Telnet, RDP, SMB, FTP, SNMP. The 7 layer network model (ISO/OSI model), TCP operation (3 way handshake), UDP operation and common port numbers.
- Operating systems such as Windows including server and client operating systems, configuring network settings, services, and registry settings. Ideally some experience with Linux/UNIX as well. Virtualisation such as Hyper-V or VMware.
Some familiarity with the concepts of SQL databases, Web servers and Web applications.
There is no pre-course work required, but further reading during and/or after the course will be beneficial for those wishing to sit the CompTIA Security+ exam.
This course will prepare you for the CompTIA Security+ exam. The exam is entirely optional, vouchers are available to purchase when booking your course.
For exam preparation, this course concentrates on the conceptual and practical aspects of Security and selected labs from the official CompTIA lab guide. Additional home study of at least 25-30 hours will be required for exam preparation and learning additional content, such as network device specifications, physical security and security policies from the provided courseware.
Exams are not taken during the course, but can be booked to be taken at an authorised PearsonVue test centre via the web site: http://www.pearsonvue.com/comptia/