Widely adopted and used in both public and private sector organisations, P3O – Portfolio, Programme and Project Office – is a model designed to encourage a structured ‘office’ to oversee portfolios, creating a decision-enabling and delivery support structure for all change within an organisation.
As well as understanding the decision-making function within the P3O recommended model, the accreditation explores the approach recommended by P3O for the best practice tools, techniques, methods and processes to be adopted.
Book your virtual training
- More info
- Date and time to suit you
- VenueWe will train your team
wherever they are based
- CostContact us for price
- Fill in the form and we'll be in touch
within a working day.
Book your place
All too often, businesses run multiple projects and change activities in isolation to one another which can commonly lead to gaps, overlap, planning, resourcing and consistency issues - all of which have an impact of the success of the projects, programme or portfolio.
P3O provides universally recognised guidance, tools and techniques that enable individuals and organizations to establish, develop and maintain appropriate business support structures to support organisational change.
The Practitioner certification will confirm whether you have achieved sufficient knowledge and understanding of the P3O guidance to design, implement, manage or work within any component office of a P3O model.
Members of offices within a P3O model or anyone who needs to understand the terminology and concepts underpinning P3O and those wishing to pursue higher level certifications.
- Understand a high-level P3O model and its component offices
- Recognise the differences between Portfolio, Programme and Project Management
- Recognise the key functions and services of a P3O
- Understand the reasons for establishing a P3O model
- Recognise the differences between types of P3O model and the factors that influence selection of the most appropriate model
- Establish processes to implement or re-energize a P3O
- Apply tools and techniques used by a P3O
- Understand purpose and major responsibilities of the defined roles
• Informed senior management decision-making on factors including strategy, prioritization, risk management and optimization of resources in order to successfully deliver their business objectives (portfolio management)
• Identification and realization of business outcomes and benefits via programmes
• Greater consistency, clarity and visibility across business change activities as a whole
• Successful delivery of project outputs that enable benefits within time, cost and quality restraints.
The Practitioner certification will provide you with sufficient knowledge and understanding of the P3O guidance to interact effectively with, or act as an informed member of, an office within a P3O model.
You will gain an overall understanding of the elements, roles, functions and tools and techniques deployed in a generalized P3O model.
This course is ideal for anyone currently working within change management wishing to bring the wider context of P3O into sharper focus for use in their organisation and will be of particular benefit to those who wish to use P3O to pursue a career in this area.
- Why have a P3O
- Designing a P3O Model
- Different Roles within the P3O Model
- Implementation of a P3O
- How to Operate a P3O
In order to take the practitioner exam you need to hold a current foundation certificate.
- Objective testing
- Four questions of 20 marks each - 80 marks in total
- 150 minutes’ duration
- 40 marks required to pass (out of 80 available) – 50%
- Open book exam. Candidates may use the official printed hard copy of the Portfolio, Programme and Project Offices: P3O guide. The manual may be annotated and tabulated but no sticky notes and loose leaf papers containing additional notes will be allowed.