Widely adopted and used in both public and private sector organisations, P3O – Portfolio, Programme and Project Office – is a model designed to encourage a structured ‘office’ to oversee portfolios, creating a decision-enabling and delivery support structure for all change within an organisation.
As well as understanding the decision-making function within the P3O recommended model, the accreditation explores the approach recommended by P3O for the best practice tools, techniques, methods and processes to be adopted.
Book your virtual training
- More info
- Date and time to suit you
- VenueWe will train your team
wherever they are based
- CostContact us for price
- Fill in the form and we'll be in touch
within a working day.
Book your place
All too often, businesses run multiple projects and change activities in isolation to one another which can commonly lead to gaps, overlap, planning, resourcing and consistency issues - all of which have an impact of the success of the projects, programme or portfolio.
P3O provides universally recognised guidance, tools and techniques that enable individuals and organizations to establish, develop and maintain appropriate business support structures to support organisational change.
In reality, according to P3O, this may be provided through a single permanent office which may exist under several different names, for example Portfolio Office, Centre of Excellence, Enterprise or Corporate Programme Office
Members of offices within a P3O model or anyone who needs to understand the terminology and concepts underpinning P3O and those wishing to pursue higher level certifications.
- Recognise the differences between Portfolio, Programme and Project Management
- Recognise the key functions and services of a P3O
- Understand the reasons for establishing a P3O model
- Recognise the differences between types of P3O model and the factors that influence selection of the most appropriate model
- Establish processes to implement or re-energize a P3O
- Apply tools and techniques used by a P3O
• Informed senior management decision-making on factors including strategy, prioritization, risk management and optimization of resources in order to successfully deliver their business objectives (portfolio management)
• Identification and realization of business outcomes and benefits via programmes
• Greater consistency, clarity and visibility across business change activities as a whole
• Successful delivery of project outputs that enable benefits within time, cost and quality restraints.
The Foundation certification will provide you with sufficient knowledge and understanding of the P3O guidance to interact effectively with, or act as an informed member of, an office within a P3O model.
You will gain an overall understanding of the elements, roles, functions and tools and techniques deployed in a generalized P3O model.
This course is ideal for anyone currently working within change management wishing to bring the wider context of P3O into sharper focus for use in their organisation and will be of particular benefit to those who wish to use P3O to pursue a career in this area.
Introduction to P3O
- What is the purpose of P3O?
- What are P3Os?
- Portfolio, Programme and Project Lifecycles
- Governance and the P3O
Why have a P3O
- How a P3O adds Value
- Maximizing that Value
- Getting Investment for the P3O
- Overcoming common barriers
Designing a P3O
- Factors that affect the design
- Design considerations
- What functions and services should the P3O offer
- Roles and Responsibilities
- Sizing and Tailoring of the P3O model
Implementing a P3O
- Implementation lifecycle for a permanent P3O
- Implementation lifecycle for a temporary programme or project office
How to Operate a P3O
- Overview of tools and techniques
- Benefits of using standard tools and techniques
- Critical Success factors
- P3O tools
- P3O techniques
There are no pre-requisites for the foundation course, however a basic understanding of projects and business change would be beneficial.
- Multiple choice examination questions
- 75 questions - 70 live questions and five trials
- 60 minutes’ duration
- 35 marks required to pass (out of 70 available) – 50%
- Closed book.
Regardless of if your training is face to face or virtual PeopleCert exams are available exclusively online. They will be proctored live online using their Exam Shield software. You can find additional information regarding PeopleCert's online exam requirements here, including installing Exam Shield on their website.
To book your exam, you will be sent an exam voucher before your course from which you will be directed to go to PeopleCert's website and book your preferred time and day.
Please be aware that if you are on a face to face course in Worcester you will not be able to do your exam from our facility, sorry for any inconvenience this causes.