Mental Health First Aider (MHFA)
Mental Health First Aid (MHFA) is an internationally recognised training course which teaches people how to spot the signs and symptoms of mental ill health and provide help on a first aid basis. MHFA won't teach you to be a therapist, but just like physical first aid, it will teach you to listen, reassure and respond, even in a crisis.
Book your team training at your premises
- More info
- Date and time to suit you
- VenueWe will train your team
at your offices
- CostContact us for price
- Fill in the form and we'll be in touch
within 15 minutes (Mon-Fri 9-5)
Book your place
Adult MHFA courses are for everyone aged 16 and upwards. Every MHFA course is delivered by a Quality Assured Instructor who has attended an instructor training programme accredited by the Royal Society for Public Health, and is trained to keep people safe and supported while they learn.
Anyone wishing to become a qualified Mental Health First Aider
- Understand mental health and the factors that can affect wellbeing
- Spot the triggers and signs of mental health issues
- Step in, reassure and support a person in distress
- Use enhanced interpersonal skills such as non-judgemental listening
Healthy people are happier, more engaged and more productive. Employers across the UK are acting now to support the wellbeing of their people and create mentally healthy businesses.
Stress, anxiety and depression are the biggest cause of sickness absence in our society. Mental ill health is responsible for 91 million working days lost every year. Simple steps to improve the management of mental health in the workplace will allow employers to save 30% or more of these costs. This is where this course can help.
By attending this course you will gain the tools to keep yourself and your colleagues healthy, encourage them to access support when it's needed for a faster recovery. You can be at the forefront of stopping preventable health issues arising by building a supportive culture around mental health. Embed positive, long term cultural change across your organisation through robust policy.
Why Mental Health First Aid?
- What is depression?
- What is Mental Health?
- Impact of mental health issues
- Stigma and discrimination
- The Mental Health First Aid action plan
Symptoms of Depression
- Risk factors for depression
- Depression in the workplace
- Suicide figures
- Alcohol, drugs and mental health
- First aid to assist a suicidal crisis
- Non-judgemental listening skills
- First aid for depression
- Treatment and resources for depression
What is an Anxiety disorder?
- First Aid for anxiety disorders
- Crisis first aid after a traumatic event
- Alcohol, drugs and anxiety disorders
- Treatment and resources for anxiety disorders
Cognitive distortions and cognitive behavioural therapy
- Personality disorders
- Eating disorders
What is Psychosis?
- Risk factors for Psychosis
- Alcohol, drugs and Psychosis
- Treatment and resources for Psychosis
- Bipolar disorder
- Warning signs of developing Psychosis
- Crisis first aid for acute Psychosis
Recovery and building resources
Action planning for using MHFA
There are no pre-requisites for this course.