BCS Certificate in Modelling Business Processes
Business processes are the means by which an organisation carries out internal operations and delivers its products and services to its customers. This course is concerned with the investigation, modelling and improvement of these business processes. Candidates are required to appreciate the hierarchy for business processes, and apply business process modelling techniques within a framework for business process improvement.
Book your team training at your premises
- More info
- Date and time to suit you
- VenueWe will train your team
at your offices
- CostContact us for price
- Fill in the form and we'll be in touch
within 15 minutes (Mon-Fri 9-5)
Book your place
- There are no public, Worcester-based events for this course scheduled at the moment, but you can contact us to request a date or call 0800 018 5597
- Request dates at
Worcester Training Centre
Guaranteed to run
This two day course is designed to give delegates a good end to end understanding of Business Process Modelling best practice. The BCS certificate in Modelling Business Processes is awarded to candidates who pass the exam at the end of the course.
This course is suitable for those who want to obtain the BCS certificate in Modelling Business Processes and learn about the investigation, modelling and improvement of business processes.
It is suitable for those currently working as Business Analysts and other professionals utilising Business Analysis skills as part of their current or future role.
- Identify and model core business processes at an organisational level.
- Identify and model business processes at the process level.
- Identify the events that trigger the business processes.
- Identify the outcomes from the business processes.
- Model the actors, tasks and process flows that comprise a business process.
- Analyse the tasks within a business process.
- Identify the business rules applied within tasks.
- Analyse the performance issues of individual tasks.
- Identify the performance measures applied within a business process.
- Analyse and improve business processes.
Modelling your existing business processes well is a vital part of any improvement process. Get this wrong and you are unlikely to be effective.
Many Business Analysts perform their roles with little formal training or qualification. This course helps to formalise the learning you have done on the job, fills in any gaps you may have and provides guidance on best practice.
The context for business process modelling
- Purpose of business process modelling
- Process for business process modelling
- Approaches to business process modelling
- The hierarchy of business processes – organisation, process and task levels
- Differences between the process view and the functional view of an organisation
- Advantages of the process view
Organisational model of processes
- Strategic context for business processes
- Relationships between processes, including those at the same level and between levels of hierarchy
- Building an organizational view of processes
- Delivering value to customers and the value proposition
Modelling the business processes
- Selected business process modelling technique
- Modelling as-is business processes
- Events that trigger business processes
- The outcomes from business processes
- Timelines for business processes
- Business process measures
- Identifying tasks – one person, one place, one time
- Documenting steps to complete the tasks
- Documenting business rules
- Task performance measures
Evaluating and improving business processes
- Identifying problems with the as-is business processes
- Analysing the process
- Analysing the handoffs
- Analysing the tasks
- Staff performance issues
- Challenging the business rules
- Modelling the to-be business processes
- Approaches to business process improvement
- Integration of business process modelling and requirements definition
- Implementation issues
There are no specific pre-requisites for this course, however delegates are expected to be working or have worked in a Business Analysis role or similar.
We provide a pre-reading document for this course.
Delegates should plan to spend around four hours prior to the course completing this pre-reading.
The format for the examination is a one hour written (open book) examination based on a business scenario with fifteen minutes reading time.